Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Movie Club and Midterms Approaching



          Hola!
Since last I blogged, I have gone to two movie club movies. The first movie was “Midnight in Paris” a film by Woody Allen. “Midnight in Paris” was filmed in English but had Spanish subtitles. Most of the dialogue came before the subtitles, so I think if I was a native Spanish speaker I might have been discouraged. But it was a lovely movie that I think went deeper than most movies go and mocked the typical rich Americans who travel places and do not appreciate their surroundings or the things they have in their lives. The film featured lots of influential figures in literature, such as Ernest Hemmingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald (and Zelda Fitzgerald), and T. S. Elliot. The film also featured Salvador Dalí (played by Adrien Brody) and Pablo Picasso. It was interesting to see what people in the audience laughed at and what the Suffolk group laughed at. The entire audience was thrilled at Adrien Brody´s portrayal of Salvador Dalí 
          
         Last night the movie we saw was in Spanish. It was called, “No Habrá Paz para Los Malvados” translating roughly to “There will be no peace for the wicked/bad people”. The movie was a psychological thriller set in Madrid and featured restaurants and businesses here in Madrid, such as VIPS, a local restaurant. It was funny because after we saw the movie we all walked over to the VIPS next door to have coffee! I was surprised at how much of the plot I was able to understand, despite the fact that none of it was in English and there were no subtitles to follow. Next week I believe we are going to see the Tree of Life, starring Brad Pitt. I like that one week the movie is in Spanish and the week it is in English. I hope that by going to the movies every week will help me to improve my Spanish.

Adios amigos, hasta la vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment