Thursday, September 22, 2011

Diurno, Intercambio, and Flan!!

Diurno, Intercambio, and Flan: Madrid Life




Hello!
                I have already seen so much since I last blogged. Tuesday, I took the metro to the restaurant/video rental Diurno at the stop Banco de España. At Diurno, the school had arranged an intercambio , where we got to practice our Spanish speaking skills in a restaurant setting. As soon as I got off the metro, I was spellbound by the architecture of the buildings. I took plenty of photos of El Banco De España (similar to the Federal Reserve buildings in the United States), the fountain, and several other local government buildings. I had a lovely time at Diurno and was able to practice my Spanish speaking skills in an almost embarrassment-free environment. 

   




                Yesterday, I tried flan for the first time. My mother loves flan, but I was always skeptical of it. I may not be the best food critic, but I approve of flan. The texture is a bit hard to get used to, but the flavor is very sweet. For dinner Marta made us an eggplant, zucchini, and tomato dish. It makes me hungry just thinking about it actually.
                Today in Suffolk University 101, Ms. Silvia Salazar gave a presentation about volunteering and community service. As part of our weekly assignment we had read about philanthropy, charity, and volunteering and what makes them different. Ms. Silvia Salazar shared personal experiences in her own community service and volunteering and explained volunteering opportunities to us.  I was moved by her personal testimonies and I am now considering volunteering while I am here in Madrid. I want to work with elementary school children, and as an added bonus I have been told that working with or being around children can improve your Spanish! 

I must go now, but I will write more later, 
Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment