Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Weekend in London

London!

Hello!
I got back from London on Sunday, and I was so happy to be home. That was when it struck me. I now consider Madrid, and my host-household my home. I never thought I would get used to city life, navigating the metro, or constantly overhearing conversations in Spanish and wondering what the conversation was about, but I have. While I was in London I would feel a smile form across my face when I overheard Londoners make comments about the Spanish, who surprisingly, they had a lot to say about. I glanced back at the women speaking Spanish on the street, searching their faces for some familiarity, but mostly received raised eyebrows in return. I am beginning to associate a small part of myself with Madrid.



I have also noticed my Spanish improving. My host-mother and I usually keep our comments to each other brief, because she speaks no English, and I barely speak Spanish, but lately we have been able to converse with ease. I am by no means fluent, but I aspire to be. I have been making an effort to practice in my spare time.  

Chinese Food, right next to the Hostel
The first day in London, we ate and went promptly to sleep. The next day we woke early and set off for Shakespeare’s Globe Theater and took a guided tour of the inside stage. We also went on the London Eye, a major tourist attraction that takes you up above London and gives you a bird’s eye view of London. Unlucky for us, it was foggy of course, so beyond the clouds, we were lost in the fog.

Shakespeare´s Globe Theatre!

Nurse´s Costume in The Globe

Young Maiden Costume
Queen´s dress for The Globe


Memorial to Veterans
Ahh, London


Interesting Graffiti we turned into a photo-opportunity!

However much I associated with Spain, I also felt that my trip to England was a chance to get in touch with my roots, since my mother was born in London, England. London was not at all what I expected, but that isn´t a bad thing. It was just different from what I assumed. I thought the city would be a constant source of entertainment, people crowded in the streets, cars and busses whizzing by, but what I found was all that and more. Yes, in Piccadilly Square and Oxford Square, there were busses, cars, and people all threatening to run you over, but there were quieter places, peaceful places where I found I fit right in. We visited a lovely park and took pictures in the gold and scarlet fallen leaves. The entire trip the only tea I drank came from the watery kettle in the hostel bar.

 I hope the next time I write you, it will be about my wonderful surprise trip to Granada (I am on the waiting list right now). Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment