Monday, February 11, 2013

Malasaña Living

Hey!
I'm not sure if I ever told you, but I moved! Yep, I live in Malasaña, my favorite neighborhood in Madrid. I love going for runs through my neighborhood characterized by vibrant colored buildings and obscene graffiti. I love finding new restaurants and vintage shops near my apartment. The other day my room mate Alanna and I were on our way to Día (the supermarket) when we noticed a burrito bar we had never seen on the street adjacent to the supermarket. I haven't gone to the burrito place yet, but maybe tonight for dinner I'll make a trip there and try it out. Also, I have new room mates: Meaghan, an English major like myself, Alanna, an undecided at the moment but possible drama major, and Leila who studies business.
Some of my room mates have developed alter-egos to describe their Spanish sides which only the bars in Malasaña seem to envoke. Meaghan has adopted the pseudonym Magdalena (de la noche) so frequently people often forget her real name. Alanna's spanish persona is Roxy aka Roxanne. The nicknames began as a joke but have evolved due to their usefulness when ordering Starbucks coffees and sushi and our American names don't translate smoothly in a restaurant setting. When ever I order food at Cervecería Cien Montaditos my receipt reads "YANAY" or "JANY" instead of "JENNY". I should really look into getting a Spanish nickname referral from either Roxy or Magdalena. It also makes introducing yourself to Spaniards much easier when they don't have to fumble over an American first name. You wouldn't think the name Jenny is so tricky, but I've been through hell being called "Johnny" or "Yanny" for the duration of a conversation. But at the same time, I am concerned I will pick a Spanish name that is too common and will further impede me from enjoying Spanish night-life and Spanish food, like Maria or Ana. Which will just result in confusion when I encounter other Marias and Anas (which is inevitable) standing waiting for my montaditos or coffee.
Quite the dilemma.
Well, I'm off to ponder my new identity.
Adios for now
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment